11/25/09

Assignment7: Listen to Steve Job's talk

(a) Write down the expressions you learn from his talk.

1.relent v.緩和: become less severe, harsh, or strict usually from reasons of humanity.
2.stmble into something phr.無意間涉足某事:to become involved in something by chance.
3.calligraphy n.書法:artistic, stylized, or elegant handwriting or lettering
4.typography n.印刷術:letterpress printing
5.serif n.截線:any of the short lines stemming from and at an angle to the upper and lower ends of the strokes of a letter
6.karma n.因果:the force generated by a person's actions held in Hinduism and Buddhism to perpetuate transmigration and in its ethical consequences to determine the nature of the person's next existence
7.baton n.指揮棒
8.screw up phr.搞砸:to do something badly or spoil something
9.biopsy n.切片檢查 :the removal and examination of tissue, cells, or fluids from the living body
10.endoscope n.內視鏡
11.intestines n.腸
12.sedate adj.鎮定的:keeping a quiet steady attitude or pace
13.dogma n.信條


(b) Reflect on his thought
After I listen to Steve Job's speech, I think a lot of things. I'm a student who always conform to convention, and dare not do things that may fail or others think wrong. But Steve is not this kind person! I really envy his courage. He said"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition." I hope someday I also can be the person like Steve and won't change my own ideas just because of others' opinion.
This speech also mentions another point:you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. Before I often confused why I have to learn things which I think I won't use them, such as history, Analects Confucius and so on. Now I realize that I learn these things may be useful in some day!
This speech is really wonderful! I assume that this speech is not only an assignment, it's also a lesson that we con use whole life!

1 comment:

  1. I think you just have been very careful and opn-minded. That's good. However, sometiems, you need to have the faith in yourself, believe in your own decidion, and be weilling to take the consequences. I'm glad you found this talk helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete